2005 Jets Awards Night
Newtown points-scoring ace dominates
Classy fullback Nathan Merritt took the lion’s share of awards at the recent Newtown Jets RLFC annual presentation night.
The NSW Minister for Education and Training and MP for Marrickville Carmel Tebbutt was the principal guest of honour at the well-attended evening last week at the Jets Sports Club. There were a great many Newtown club sponsors, officials, players and supporters on hand as the Jets celebrated their best season in Rugby League for many years.
Nathan Merritt, who has joined South Sydney for the 2006 season, won five awards.
- Leading VB Premier League try-scorer for 2005
- Leading VB Premier League points-scorer for 2005
- Club record number of points scored by a Newtown player in one season
- Club record number of points scored by a Newtown player in one game
- Newtown RLFC VB Premier League Players’ Player award
Merritt’s personal tally of 40 points in one game (scored against the Cougars on the 21st May) was second only to the all-time record of 45 points, set by the legendary Eastern Suburbs champion Dave Brown back in 1935.
Other major award winners
- Newtown RLFC VB Premier League Best and Fairest - Kevin Kingston
- Newtown RLFC Jim Beam Cup Best and Fairest - Rimini Reweti
- Newtown RLFC VB Premier League Coach’s Award - Russell Aitken
- Newtown RLFC Jim Beam Cup Coach’s Award - David Vial
- The Fred Daly Memorial Award (for outstanding service to the club by a player) - David Thompson
Many of the speakers on the night paid tribute to all those Cronulla-Sutherland players who had readily adapted to playing with the Newtown Club, and who had really applied themselves to their football in a most professional manner. They had all worn the Newtown colours with both honour and pride and had won the admiration of Newtown’s big support base. The Cronulla-Sutherland brigade had all contributed to the Newtown club having had its best season in many years.