Newtown Rugby League Football Club - 2008 Centenary Program
First In Rugby League – Australia's oldest Rugby League Football Club announces its centenary program.
Tuesday, 8th January 2008 is a significant date in the history of both the New South Wales Rugby League and its oldest foundation club, the Newtown Rugby League Football Club.
8th January 1908 - 8th January 2008
Exactly 100 years to the day on which the club was formed, an invited assembly of Rugby League officials and civic dignitaries plus a selection of current and former Newtown players gathered in the Newtown Town Hall to reflect over the events that occurred in the very same room back on the 8th January 1908.
Read the account of this wonderful anniversary of Rugby League.
A proud foundation club
Newtown is one of only two NSW Rugby League Foundation clubs that
celebrate their foundation day in the exact venues where the clubs were
formed - South Sydney is the other.
The Newtown commemoration was the first official event in the 2008 Centenary of Rugby League calendar.
Newtown's centenary year
The Newtown RLFC's Official Centenary Program includes
- a presence at the National Rugby League's Fan Day on February 2nd
- a Bumper 2008 Season Launch in March at the Petersham RSL Club
- participation in the Official Australian Rugby League Centenary Plaques Program
- announced at the 8 January commenoration
- the Jets' Official Centenary Dinner, Saturday 5 July, where the club will announce the Newtown Team of the Century
- Newtown's annual Reunion Players and Supporters Day at the Jets' final home game of the year at Henson Park
Special pictorial history of our club
Our website will also carry a special pictorial history of the
Newtown Rugby League Football Club, which is being compiled by one of Rugby League's most meticulous historians, Terry Williams.
Terry was also the author of the acclaimed history of the Newtown RLFC, Out Of The Blue, which was published back in 1993.
In the meantime, revisit some great Newtown moments in our special centenary gallery -
Faces of history.