Newtown Rugby League Football Club - 1908-2008
Rd 18 - Dramatic finish as the Jets overhaul the Storm [22-20]


3.00 pm, Saturday, 9 August

Henson Park

NSW Cup ladder  [end of last round]

A lot at stake

The Newtown Jets claimed two badly-needed competition points when they defeated the Central Coast storm 22-20 in the VB NSW Cup match played at Henson Park on Saturday.

Both teams came into this match with plenty of incentive - the Jets were battling to stay in fourth place while the Storm (Melbourne's feeder club) were fighting to remain in the competition's top eight.

Tense struggle in first half

The two teams were locked up at 10-all at halftime and 14-all midway through the second half.

The Jets looked to be faltering when they trailed 20-14 with only 12 minutes remaining but they staged a thrilling fightback in the last ten minutes to snatch a thrilling victory.

Newtown broke away to an early 10-0 lead with tries to five-eighth Ben Jones (making his NSW Cup debut for 2008) and second-rower Sean Rudder. The Storm fought back into the contest and had drawn level by halftime.

Jets fall behind in the second half

The Central Coasters took the lead for the first time ten minutes into the second half but Newtown equalised through the sprightly-stepping Donny Thompson after the Jets had an extended spell of possession in the Storm's twenty-metre zone.

Things looked ominous for the Jets when the Storm exploited Newtown's being a man down on their right-side backline defence and scored what looked likely to be the deciding try.

Stanley Waqa led the way

The Jets responded to the home crowd's barracking and bench forward Stanley Waqa gained Henson Park cult status when he plunged over next to the northern end goal posts. Ben Green's conversion made it 20-all with 7 minutes to play.

The hard-running Waqa made a barnstorming run deep into the Storm's territory where a ruck indiscretion presented Newtown with a penalty right in front of the posts. Green made no mistake with the penalty goal as the Henson Park Hill Mob went into a frenzy.

Player performances

Newtown's forwards stayed the pace with a physically strong Storm pack that contained plenty of NRL experience.

The Jets were best served in the forwards department by players' player award winner Hep Cahill, Sean Rudder, Daniel Green and team captain Steve Meredith.

Stanley Waqa's dramatic impact late in the game will become part of Henson Park folklore. Centre Brent Grose provided stability and class in the backs and Danny Howard coped well with his unaccustomed role in the centres.

Next game

The Newtown Jets are back again at Henson Park this coming Saturday, 16 August, when they confront the new competition leaders Wentworthville, Parramatta's feeder club in the VB NSW Cup. This match is timed to kick off at 3.00pm.

Last played

Round 3 away

Match summary

Newtown: 22
4 tries, 3 goals
Storm: 20
4 tries, 2 goals

Weather: Mild, sunny.
Playing surface: Excellent.
Referee: Luke Potter
Touch Judges: Matt Hawkins, Matt Damaso

NSW Cup ladder
[end of last round]

Who played?

1 Shaun Foley
Sponsored by Sydney Airport
2 Rhys Pritchard
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
3 Brent Grose
Sponsored by Harvey Norman, Alexandria
4 Don Thompson [T1]
Sponsored by Victor Sports
5 Tevita Folau
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
19 Ben Jones [T1]
Sponsored by Miller and Associates Insurance Brokers
7 Ben Green [G3]
Sponsored by Blueprint Management Group
8 Steve Meredith
Sponsored by Soil 'n' Stuff
9 Rory Kostjasyn
Sponsored by Petersham RSL Club
10 Ray Moujalli
Sponsored by Visual FX
11 Daniel Green
Sponsored by SGE Credit Union
12 Sean Rudder [T1]
Sponsored by Seafood Systems Australia
13 Hep Cahill
Sponsored by Bowlers Club of NSW
14 Khalid Deeb
Sponsored by Jets Sports Club
15 Tyrone Shelley
Sponsored by Labelcraft, Leichhardt
16 Danny Howard
Sponsored by Discount Ski Tubes & Gear
17 Stanley Waqa [T1]
Sponsored by Dickson Canvas

Coach: Greg Matterson

© Newtown Jets RLFC 2006