Newtown Rugby League Football Club - Established 1908
Qualifying Final - 3rd-placed Jets hold on for win over 6th-placed Wentworthville [32-28]


Match details

3.00 pm, Saturday, 11 September 2010

Henson Park

Meet the players

Photographic highlights

NSW Cup ladder [end of Round 26]

The Newtown Jets advanced to the next round of the NSW Cup finals after recording a less than inspiring 32-28 win against Wentworthville at Henson Park on Saturday.

In short...

The Jets had led 24-12 at half-time and 28-12 midway through the second half, but then turned in a sub-standard final quarter that could well have ended in disaster against stronger opposition.

Momentum see-saws in first half

Playing in front of one of this season's best home crowds, Newtown opened with plenty of enthusiasm but errors prevented them from applying any sustained pressure on the Wentworthville line.

The visitors scored first when their five-eighth snapped up a wayward Newtown kick and ran 85 metres to score under the posts.

The Jets responded through halfback, Liam Foran, and centre, Tu'u Maori, who combined to put winger, Troy Savage, in at the southern left-hand corner, with Maori's soaring sideline conversion making the score 6-all.

Newtown fullback, Steve Naughton, made a long break and was well-supported by Foran, who shrugged off an ineffectual attempt at tackle and went on to score near the posts. Maori again converted for Newtown to lead 12-6.

Wentworthville equalised after taking full advantage of Newtown conceding a midfield penalty. Ball-playing Jets second-rower, Aidan Guerra, created a try for Maori ten minutes prior to the break, with the Papua-New Guinea international converting his own try.

Five-eighth, Tom Symonds, made a strong break in the 38th minute and was well supported by hooker, Keith Peters, and winger, Sonny Tuigamala, ending in Tuigamala racing in to score and Maori landing his fourth conversion for Newtown to lead 24-12 at half-time.

Second half delivers another nail-biting finish

The Jets began the second half with a flurry of errors, putting themselves under pressure in their own quarter. Impressive lead-up work by Sonny Tuigamala in the 52nd minute resulted in an unconverted try by centre, Chris Tuatara-Morrison.

The Jets missed an opportunity to lock up the game when they failed to capitalise on a great break made by front-rower, Mose Masoe.

Two converted tries to Wentworthville, one a long-distance effort from an intercept and a second when the Jets refused to contest a high kick, invited the visitors right back into the contest at 28-24 with fifteen minutes remaining.

Centre, Tu'u Maori, recently named in the NSW Cup team of the season, gave the Jets some breathing space when he positioned winger, Troy Savage, for his second try. Poor defence and conceding a penalty late in the tackle count allowed Wentworthville to score and get back into the game at 32-28 in arrears, but the Jets managed to hang on to that lead until the final siren.

Coach's assessment

Jets coach, Greg Matterson, wryly noted that Newtown had gifted Wentworthville two converted tries and that the Jets should have taken control of the game when they extended their lead to 28-12. His team needed to take heed of their errors in this match and to get ready for next Sunday's elimination final.

On the upside, his players had shown plenty of desperation to save this match and there had been some top-class tries scored. Front-rower, Tinirau Arona, was again voted Newtown's man of the match, with Aidan Guerra and lock, Jason Baitieri, the best of the other forwards. Halves, Liam Foran and Tom Symonds, centre, Tu'u Maori, and winger, Troy Savage, had been the best of Newtown's backs.

Match summary

Newtown Jets 32 [Troy Savage 2, Sonny Tuigamala, Chris Tuatara-Morrison, Liam Foran, Tu'u Maori tries; Tu'u Maori 4 goals

Wentworthville Magpies 28 [5 tries; 4 goals]

Half-time: Newtown led 24-12.

Weather was glorious. The hill was covered with spectators enjoying the Spring sunshine and except for a dusty patch in the middle of the pitch, the ground was in good condition and ready for the feast of tries that followed.

Next game

The Newtown Jets move into the sudden-death phase of the 2010 NSW Cup finals when they meet the Windsor Wolves at Leichhardt Oval next Sunday, 19 September, at 3.00pm.

Who Played


Steve Naughton
Sponsored by Scott Corporation
2 Sonny Tuigamala [T1]
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
3 Tu'u Maori [T1 G4]
Sponsored by Charles Bailey, Ray White Inner West
4 Chris Tuatara-Morrison [T1]
Sponsored by Craig Leonard
5 Troy Savage [T2]
Sponsored by Golden Barley Hotel, Marrickville
6 Tom Symonds
Sponsored by Steve Helmich
7 Liam Foran
Sponsored by Brett Scelly
21 Mose Masoe
Sponsored by Trevor & AJ Folsom
9 Nick Kouparitsas
Sponsored by Soil N Stuff
10 Ray Moujalli
Sponsored by Dave Nelson
11 Brad Barrett
Sponsored by LHD Lawyers
12 Aidan Guerra
Sponsored by Matthew Borg
13 Jason Baitieri ©
Sponsored by Jennifer Malone


8 Ryan Verlinden
Sponsored by John Cahill
14 Tinirau Arona
Sponsored by Good Fellows
15 Keith Peters
Sponsored by BRI Ferrier
16 Brad Takairangi
Sponsored by Undercover Music
18 Luke Towers [DNP]
Sponsored by Medi-Print Australia
19 Jason Wells [DNP]
Sponsored by De Bortoli Wines
20 Nick Doig [DNP]
Sponsored by Labelcraft, Leichhardt
22 Richard Kambo [DNP]
Sponsored by SGE Credit Union

Coach: Greg Matterson